Thursday, September 17, 2009

wisdom [wiz-duhm]
the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight
Synonyms include: acumen, knowledge

Lately (possibly the last couple of months), I've been experiencing some frustration. Actually, I wouldn't call it frustration. We'll call it apathy instead, which in my eyes is worse than being frustrated. I've been learning to train my "photographer's eye" for quite some time now, looking at photoblog after photoblog, hoping that one day, my images would evoke the same emotions I feel when I look at pictures by other photographers. It's not that I've stopped caring to keep learning. I just feel like I'm trying too hard manipulate an image into what I THINK it should look like, that I've grown apathetic towards the one thing that made me want to learn in the first place - the simple love of taking pictures.

My writing regimen has suffered for this same reason. Until recently, I hadn't felt inspired much to write in any form - a submission for possible publication, blogging and even journaling. I used to have a lot more to say and lately I seem to have lost interest in discussing anything, even on paper. Then Twitter and Facebook came along - well, why blog when you can provide hourly details of your doings phrase by incomplete phrase? Oy...Where was the furious scribbler/typer I once knew? She got lazy and she didn't want to talk about it.

Then...I got some advice from two great guys - my friend, Ja Tecson who is wise way beyond his years even though I still think of him as a child; and Derek Fisher, whose book Character Driven, I'm milking for every drop of wisdom I can get. Two ballers, two nice guys, two men who, of late, have helped me figure some things out.

"There are 2 journeys [to finding your style]: One is learning to shoot and being confident to adapt to most situations, mastering the craft, which we'll always be students [of], and then...mastering your style is the next journey. You just need to figure out what style you love most, [but] the truth of the matter is - your style will change every year. [And] you'll just know when you look at your photographs. Only you can judge it in the end. You'll either say to yourself, 'I love it...or I'm not happy with it.' That's the hardest part I guess - rebelling against what you've created and trying to turn it up a notch." ~ Ja Tecson

"Work hard, develop your fundamentals, attack your weaknesses, and always do the right thing." ~ Derek Fisher

No comments: