Tuesday, September 29, 2009

relinquish [ri-ling-kwish]
to renounce or surrender; to give up; put aside or desist from; to let go; release
Synonyms include: let go, surrender, withdraw

Everytime I hear Carrie Underwood’s “Jesus, Take the Wheel,” I always well up. In the song, she sings metaphorically about letting God take over when situations feel out of our control. A minor leaguer in control issues, I am guilty of often placing myself in a miserable hole when things don’t go the way I hope they would or when I find myself outside a position to determine a likable outcome.
I never want to be the one who gave in, which, I used to think, is what "let go, let God" meant. I had it so wrong. Sometimes, when you feel like you've done all you can, hoped all you can, prayed all you can, the only thing left to do is hand over all you can to heaven and have faith that no matter how bad a situation appears or feels, it will all be ok in the end.
We all think we're superheroes in this life; that we can do any and everything absolutely...with hopefully little to no help from anyone but ourselves. But it can get tired, and sometimes, as Carrie suggests, you have to let God drive. I'm sure He knows where you're headed...
Jesus, take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
To save me from this road I'm on
Jesus, take the wheel

No comments: