Tuesday, January 06, 2009

calendar [kal-uhn-der]
a table or register with the days of each month and week in a year; any of various systems of reckoning time, esp. with reference to the beginning, length, and divisions of the year
Synonyms include: agenda, bulletin, log

One of my favorite things about a new year? NEW CALENDARS!! I know, I know - I'm easily amused, but I always enjoy the idea of new beginnings, while (and this is the control freak in me talking) having the ability to look ahead.

Every year for the past 8 years (as long as I've had a desk job), I get two different calendars: one wall calendar to hang in my room and a daily calendar to place on my desk at work. I've had all kinds of calendars: Monet, Lord of the Rings, *NSYNC, Italy, etc. This year I have a Tuscany wall calendar by my bedside, each month with a beautiful view of the Tuscan region. I will forever love Italy!
Last year, I had an "Italian Phrase of the Day" daily calendar. I learned quite a few expressions and I'm even more determined to take an Italian language class soon (maybe in Italy! Who wants to join me?!!) This year I thought I'd change it up, so I got this "Seize the Day" daily calendar. Everyday has an inspirational quote that I'm hoping will get me through each 24 hours...especially the ones that feel longer than that. The quote for today is so appropo during these hard economic times: "Measure wealth not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." Lovely...

I always get my calendar after New Year's Day because by then, they're half off! At least at the bookstores they're half off. Go get yours now!!!

No comments: