Friday, January 11, 2008

tendon [ten-duh n]]
Anatomy. a cord or band of dense, tough, inelastic, white, fibrous tissue, serving to connect a muscle with a bone or part; sinew.

tendonitis [ten-duh-nahy-tis]
inflammation of a tendon

I’m always a bit wary when I have to see a new doctor. You always hope that they’ll be nice and above all, obviously knowledgeable about their practice, but sometimes it doesn’t always work out that way. Yesterday I saw a podiatrist for the first time. I finally got around to it! The foot pain was just getting ridiculous. It wasn’t SOOO unbearably painful, but it got pretty bothersome and the swelling above my ankle wasn’t getting any smaller, even with the ice packs and numerous hits of ibuprofen.

So Dr. Addiego is my new podiatrist; really nice guy, very receptive to my questions. He bent my foot in all these different directions, placed pressure against various areas around my ankle, and depending on which movements made me cringe, he finally diagnosed my ailment: tendonitis. Actually, his exact words were, “Ok then. Looks like you just have tendonitis.” JUST tendonitis?...Ok what’s tendonitis? Hahaha! He said it wasn’t that serious and he prescribed some anti-inflammatory meds (Naprosyn). Being the pessimist that I am sometimes, I asked him what would happen if the meds didn’t work. He said I might need to get a cortisone injection. I think the expression on my face just did it because right after he mentioned it, he immediately said, “but don’t worry. We’re not there!” hahaha! Alright man, just making sure. Needles are not my favorite things, that’s all.

So I have to keep my foot immobilized (not so much not move it, but not bend it back and forth so much, which won’t be a problem because it hurts!), and I have to keep it wrapped. Tin has become an expert on wrapping the ankle since hers is wrapped for every practice and game. I have to come back in 2 weeks to make sure everything’s ok. He took some x-rays of my foot and showed me that I had an extra bone somewhere. Weird.
Terry is having foot issues too. We even had podiatrist appointments on the same day! Feel better, Ter!!

Anyhoo, here’s hoping. Larnie Boquiren, I’ll be waiting for your input soon…=)

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

1 comment:

Terry Ednacot said...

goooo foot problems!