Friday, September 21, 2007

timing [tahym-ing]
the right occasion or opportunity; the ability to select the precise moment for doing something for optimum effect
Synonyms include: Interestingly enough, all the synonyms for timing have something to do with cheating and double-crossing…


Fr. Joe at Holy Family in Glendale is infamous for his acronym-centered homilies. No matter what the subject, no matter what passage in the bible, no matter the holy day of obligation, he will invent an acronym with a hope of leaving the congregation with something easy to remember when the last sign of the cross of mass is made. I would say that 90% of the time, his sermons hit a homerun with me, and there was one homily he did a few months ago that really did me in.

The gospel reading was about the wedding in Cana, where Jesus performed his first miracle: changing the water into wine. Fr. Joe's model for this homily was Mary; a woman who, being the mother of Jesus, led her life with a faith in and love for God that was unmatched. Mary, according to Fr. Joe, shows us the ABC’s of problem-solving. Kids, it’s acronym-time!

AAccept that there is a problem and Assume the responsibility to deal with it.
BBelieve that something can be done & Begin to take steps to fix it.
C - Carry the problem to the Lord & then Carry out what He tells you to do.

I was cleaning out some files from one of my folders and ran across my “blogscratch” document (where I record any blog entry ideas…actually, ANY ideas that turn the Inspiration Button on), and I found these notes. It couldn’t have come at a more appropriate time.

So, paydays – supposed to be glad when they arrive right? You get that “Just Got Paid” song playing in your head as the weekend approaches and you are able to think of everything you’d been waiting to do or buy when payday came? Well, I hate paydays, only because they remind me time and again that what I work so hard for every week is really not mine to enjoy completely. Sometimes I feel like my long commute and the long hours I put in at the office are all done in vain. It's literally come to a point where I don't even look at my checking account balance anymore because I'm afraid I'll break down and cry. I feel like I've looked up every option, tried what I am capable of doing (except maybe the selling my eggs thing which Riann and Bobbers have berated me for for even suggesting it), yet each solution seems to laugh me off the good-credit line. It's pathetic.

I'm at a loss here, trying to cut corners where I can, figuring out what I have to sacrifice to get myself out of the hole but still feel like there’s more I know I can do but can’t seem to. Maybe because I’m not following the ABC’s of problem solving; I cannot accept that at 29 years old, and having accomplished the things that I have, I am sitting here blogging about THIS; It’s hard for me to believe that anything can be done about it now; I feel like I’ve bothered the Lord enough despite the advice that He has already given me.

I know that this will pass, that there is ALWAYS a solution no matter how impossible the situation feels. It’s just hard not to worry, that’s all.

Iya gave me a page out of her calendar (my birthday page actually, February 13th) and I have it hanging in my cubicle. It says:

“Worrying doesn’t empty tomorrow of its trouble. It empties today of its strength.”
~ Mary Engelbreit

I know the trouble won’t disappear when I get up tomorrow morning, but I pray for the strength to ACCEPT, BELIEVE and CARRY myself through it.

2 comments:

lil jay said...

and if all else fails, always remember the serenity prayer...

God Give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference...

ANNA said...

thanks, jay. i do seem to be saying that prayer a lot lately.