Wednesday, October 18, 2006

patriarch [pey-tree-ahrk]
the male head of a family or tribal line; a person regarded as the father or founder of an order, class, etc.
Synonyms include: ancestor, chief, creator, elder, father, founder

I haven't blogged in a week and I hardly logged on to chat or netsurf much because we were taking care of my grandfather's 80th birthday. I had relatieves come in from all over to celebrate with us and, as stressful as it's been these last few months (especially for my mom - party planner extraordinaire), the event was completely worthwhile. My grandfather deserved to be recognized for the man that he is to all of us. A few of us got to give short speeches about this wonderful man in my life. It was then that I fully understoon why all my aunts and uncles call him "The Godfather."
He is the one his brothers and sisters turn to (even from an ocean away) when their lives have become too difficult to deal with. He is my aunts' and uncles' substitute father when their fathers had passed away. As a grandfather, his expectations of his grandchildren tell us we're better than how we often feel about ourselves. He's a man who loves his family, worships his Maker and makes everyone around him feel happy to be part of this world. The eldest of 8 children, the father of 7, the grandfather of 9, the great-grandfather of 2, uncle, nephew, cousin and friend of many, my grandfather has reached this milestone in his life because he loves everyone who is part of his life.

Someone once asked my grandfather how he manages to look so young. He said it's because he doesn't have any worries and because he's happy. I hope that I too will achieve eternal youth through such a simple way.

No comments: