Thursday, August 17, 2006

niche ['nich]
a recess in a wall, as for holding a statue or urn; a cranny, hollow, or crevice, as in rock; a situation or activity specially suited to a person's interests, abilities, or nature
Synonyms include: alcove, calling, indentation, position


I've been truly blessed when it's come to co-workers. There hasn't really been one job (whether I liked it or hated it), where I wasn't surrounded by good people. This job of 6-months has certainly been no exception.

I am a proud member of the SAGE Publications Sales Department. Consisted of 1 VP, 3 managers/directors and a slew of staff, we've gotten quite a reputation in the building for being a fun bunch. Decorating cubicles and offices along with having mini celebrations for people's birthdays? Kay has told me time and again, "Man, you belong in that department!" Hahaha! Don't hate, Grammy. You brought me to them.
Last Friday, our department (minus 2) had our first "teambuilder." We had mimosas on the bus ride over there so from the beginning, this trip already felt worthwhile. We spent the morning and afternoon at the Getty Villa in Malibu. Suffice it to say, the property is a magnificent work of architecture, tucked serenely in between the mountains that stand just behind the Pacific shoreline.
Built like a true villa, the estate is as picturesque as it is a stronghold that houses with care J. Paul Getty's finest antiquities. My favorite areas were the gardens. The atrium, located just beyond the entrance, is surrounded by a 2-story enclosure. It's reminiscent of Shakespearean images of folks looking out of a window into the courtyard below. Watch "Much Ado About Nothing" or even "Romeo and Juliet" and you'll see what I mean.
Further beyond the atrium is a larger garden area where a long pool of water sits, surrounded by a perimeter of open hallways of columns upon columns. It was a shutterbug's dream to be there. I couldn't stop taking pictures! I even got some of my co-workers to take jumping pictures. Hahaha! They're so game for anything - I LOVE IT!!!
After a lovely afternoon at this beautiful place, we had a late lunch at the Gladstone's across the way. We hung out at the beach (which was right beside the restaurant) before we got seated and, it was the nicest few moments. I just thought it was so random to be there with my co-workers on a Friday afternoon that it made the day even more fun for me. Our meals were YUMMY! Especially because it was charged to the company. WHAT A GREAT PERK! Hahaha!
With our stomachs were full, and some of us holding drinks beyond the point of jurisdiction, we boarded the bus and, no joke, makeshift-karaoke'd aaaaaaaall the way back to the office. Our VP, David, was leading and he's determined to make the next department teambuilder a bowling/karaoke night! Hahaha! That's gonna be freakin' hilarious!

That was a such a wonderful day! I got to spend time away from my cubicle (which is ALWAYS a welcome relief), I got to walk around the beautiful Getty Villa, eat a hearty lunch by the beach (paid for by the company. I can't get enough of that!) and, most importantly, I got to hang out with some really great people who I have the best time working with. This is one niche I hope to stay in for a while (or at least until we celebrate our 5 year anniversary so Kay and I can go to London paid for, again, by the company. Hahaha! Way to keep that motivation straight!). Check out our pics on the side!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.