Thursday, January 03, 2013

Loving the long way...



“There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.” ~ anonymous

I have a thing with shortcuts, in that, they don’t usually work out for me. Unless it’s a shortcut to figure out which fraction is greater than the other (Thanks for the tip, Sister Jane. It still works!), or to copy, paste and delete in Word, I’m not big on taking the shorter route unless it’s proven itself to me. It’s a silly philosophy, I know. But even when I’m driving somewhere, and the traffic is bad, and I decide to re-route myself through what I’ve been told is a shortcut, most times, it takes me even longer to get where I need to be.

The UCIrvine Campus, for example, is built like a wheel, with Aldrich Park occupying the center. One day after class, my friend and I had to walk to the Student Center from one of the lecture halls. As I headed down Ring Road, which is a paved path that runs the circumference of the campus, my friend yelled, “Hey! Where are you going? Let’s just walk through the park.” Physical Sciences Lecture Hall and the Student Center, were quite literally, a diameter through the park apart. “The shortest distance between two points is a straight line,” he said. My opinion, however, was that it is quicker to walk down a flat, paved surface than going through the concave center patches of grass. I guess it’s a matter of preference, but for me, the longer route took the lesser amount of time.

Since college, I’ve learned to appreciate the proverbial journey, even and especially if it’s a long one. Two hours from Glendale to San Diego provides a beautiful, coastal view of Southern California. Five years trying to maneuver my way through DSLR-use has been frustrating, but never blinking when I have to change the settings is a daily victory. Adobe no longer means brick because I’ve spent the last five years learning how it can help enhance, but not make over, my images.  Knowing the satisfaction of paying off my car and a sizeable student loan, even if it took six and 10 years respectively – I’ll never take my ability pay debt or my education for granted.

I’ve always called myself a Janey-come-lately. I’m the last to go through a lot of things in life (like owning an iPhone. 1 month and counting, folks). Sometimes it’s a frustrating admission, especially when I’m eager to experience so many things, like falling in love, having a fulfilling career as a writer or photographer, having no debt, etc. In the meantime, I’m just trying to enjoy the voyage, hoping I don’t get seasick.

No comments: