Friday, October 15, 2010

surrender [suh-ren-der]

to yield (something) to the possession or power of another; deliver up possession of on demand or under duresr; to give (oneself) up to some influence, course, emotion, etc.
Synonyms include: cave in, concede, consign

"I don't want or need a phone that has a QWERTY keyboard or a touch screen," I said.

"You might as well have a rock for a phone then," my sister replied.

Uuuggghhh!

I loved my LG Decoy for all the right reasons. It was a slide phone, which meant it was nice and compact when not in use. It had a bluetooth attached to the phone so that I could never forget it. The keys were raised just enough so I could blind-text. And best of all, it was nice and simple - did just enough (call, text, take pics and video, etc) for someone with simple needs, like me. The last 6 months or so, however, I wanted to chuck it out my car window.

It would turn off randomly (like in the middle of the night, which sucked because I used it as an alarm!), the screen would black out each time I slid it open to answer a call - it was just a ranging hot mess of a phone after a year and a half and I can't believe I withstood its condition as it was for as long as I did.

Shopping for a new phone, I wanted something similar - simple with a detachable bluetooth earpiece if possible and an affordable data plan. I should've known in the midst of my frustration that I had nowhere to go but smart...phone that is and that inexpensive data plan I was hoping for was non-existent.

I talked to everyone who had a Blackberry, a Palm, an iPhone (I know Verizon doesn't have it...yet, but I wanted their opinions all the same), etc. I read website after website for reviews and, even despite having different phones, people seemed to have a universal issue with SmartPhones - battery life. And after a while, I realized that, as with many things, pros and cons will sometimes equate and the only opinion left to tip the scale is mine.

So, after some kicking and screaming, I caved in and got a Palm Pre Plus. It's an adorable little phone, but I'm still getting accustomed to all its features. It can do a lot...way more than I could ever do with my old phone. I have an iTouch so the touch screen isn't as hard to get used to, but I have opened apps and commands unintentionally. Apparently, even in SLEEP MODE when the screen is inactive it's still sensitive. Guess SmartPhones aren't quite geniuses just yet

No comments: